Monday 22 April 2013

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I'm probably the last person on earth to read Harry Potter The Mortal Instruments, but I've finally done it!

Unfortunately, I wasn't exactly blown away. It was - to me- okay to read, just something light. But I'd never call this literature.

I didn't like the writing. It was just.. weird, really, and a bit juvenile. There were also spelling mistakes: once it said "though" instead of "through", for example.

And.. the predictability. I saw every plot twist coming. This might also be because of Clare. Every time she drops a hint, she doesn't just drop the hint but also dances in front of it, singing: "LOOK! A hint! A hint! Right here, you see?" There were also a lot of little errors, such as:

"Do they bloom every night?" "Only at midnight," he said.

It might be just me, but as far as I know, midnight IS every night. *sigh*

In Hoc Signo Vinces. "What does that mean?" she asked. "It means, 'by this sign we will conquer'(...)"

As far as I know, "vinces" does not mean WE will conquer. Usually, the -s stands for "you".

Ginny Clary also wasn't likeable. She has this 'best friend' Harry/Ron Simon, and he's very sweet toward her. When the Shadowhunters go all bitchy, he stands up for her. Then the Shadowhunters go all bitchy on Simon, I expected Ginny Clary to stand up for him too, but instead we get this:

For a moment it looked like [Simon] might resist [Isabelle], but he caught Clary's eye across the table as she shook her head slightly. He subsided. Head up, he let Isabelle lead him from the room.

Ginny Clary, you are a fucking bitch.

(view spoiler)[ Predictable:
But Raphael was laughing. "You missed," he said, and grinned for the first time, showing pointed white incisors. "You missed my heart."

Wait, so Raphael is a vampire? WHOA, never would have guessed that. *heavy sarcasm* (hide spoiler)]


And this was so obviously a fan-fiction, Harry Potter was everywhere.
Clary = Ginny
Simon = Harry/Ron
Jace = Draco
Luke = Lupin
The Mortal Instruments = The Deathly Hallows

*sigh*

But I have to admit, it was an addicting read. That's why it got two stars instead of one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...