Saturday 6 April 2013

The Host

The Host (The Host, #1)The Host by Stephenie Meyer
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

*slight spoilers*

I'm not really sure if I can rate this book correctly. There are a couple of things I take into account when rating a book:
- The actual quality of the book (e.g. insta-love or not, makes sense or not, etc.)
- How I felt while reading it/ how I feel after reading it

To me, the latter is more important. But while reading this book, I got really sick (it wasn't nice, that's all I'm saying about it), so I might be rating it less than I otherwise would have because obviously I didn't exactly feel good while reading.

In the first couple of pages, The Host was confusing: how does the whole thing work, what is a Soul excactly, etc. But after the first confusing pages, everything settles down.

After escaping and walking into the desert, where Wanda/Wanderer is being very stupid with the water thing, the book gets kind of... boring. There are like 100 pages where Wanda is just baking bread, watering flowers, and having conversations with Melanie about how no one trusts her.

The big reveals are, or at least for me, quite easy to guess, but that didn't ruin the book for me.

I thought the reason for invading Earth was quite lame. This could have been a plenty-of-action book with evil aliens invading our planet and bodies because they want power. Instead, it was all sugary sweet: they were invading Earth because we are ruining the planet!



Oh, and I just have to mention this:

He got to his feet and patted me awkwardly on the shoulder. He didn't seem comfortable with tears. "There, there," he mumbled.

Surely I'm not the only one who went all
SHELDON!!!


Hmm, this was all quite ranty. I did like the book. I also thought it was nice how this was so completely different from Twilight. I see all too often how authors can't seem to come up with new ideas if one of their books is hyped. I was glad to see that that's not the case here.

So, 3.5 stars it is!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...