Sunday 2 June 2013

Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)

Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)Sever by Lauren DeStefano
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I first finished this book, I gave it five stars. After a bit of thought, I decided to make it four, because there were a few things I didn't like. When I first started this series, I enjoyed it. I didn't love Wither, but I definitely enjoyed it. Then I read Fever, which is by far the best book of the series. I absolutely loved that one and you've probably seen me gushing over it. And now I've read Sever. I really enjoyed it, but in the end didn't love it as much as Fever. These are basically my thoughts during Sever:

Pretty prose.. Gimme more.

Hm, so I like this guy. I get the cover now.

Yes, indeed, you're stalling. Don't.

Okay, interesting.

Whoa, really? I like Fever even more now.

God, Vaughn really does everything, doesn't he?

Meh. Don't like this guy, really.

Oh wow. That must suck SO HARD.

Wait wait, what is happening? How? Whut?

NOOOOO! No, no, no. I refuse to believe this. Fuuuuuuuck.

YOU GO, GIRL!

So.. Let me explain.

I have always loved DeStefano's prose and probably always will. I really love her writing still since it's so poetic and fits the story well. I did think her prose was strongest in Fever, not in Sever. But hey, pretty is pretty right?

I really liked Reed, but he was a bit convenient. I mean, we've never heard of him before (or maybe we have, but I've forgotten). But he was great, or so I thought. And oh, Cecily. I didn't like her all that much in Wither, but I absolutely loved her in Sever and she's probably my favourite character now (sorry, Rhine, too bad.). I mean, she really grows up and this girl is a Badass with capital B. Not that she does fight scenes or anything, but she's strong, maybe even stronger than Rhine. (view spoiler)[ Also, that ending? HELL YES. Cecily, I freaking love you. (hide spoiler)]

I like Rhine, but she was a bit passive in this book. I mean, in the first book (spoilers for book 1 and 2 here) she escapes the mansion and in the second book she's going on this journey that's tough as fuck. but in this book she sits a bit too much around instead of kicking some ass. Not that I didn't like her, but it was a little disappointing.

Then there's Vaughn. He might be the best character in this series. Yes, he's the villain, but altough I hated him in the first two books, I just couln't in Sever. In fact, I felt sorry for him. I could understand him and feel for him. It takes some skill to make your readers feel for the villain, so good job!

Unfortunately, I disliked Rowan. He's just way too meh for me (like Gabriel). He believed like everything he was told and I found I couldn't connect with him.

Now, we need to talk about that cover. Wither's cover was stunning. It was absolutely gorgeous. Then, Fever's cover happened. It was awful, but after reading the book made sense. And now Sever, which also doesn't really live up to expectations. I love the original way of presenting the font and cover, but other than that it's not really a pleasure for the eyes. But once again, after reading the book, it makes sense. The apples, the globe, the plane, the bird (probably representing freedom)... So even though I do not like that cover, I say once more good job.

And.. The plot. I loved how some things from Fever made more sense in this book, making me love Fever even more. I thought it was overall well done, but the ending was a bit hasty for me. The whole thing with Hawaii etc. was a bit too fast for me and I still don't really understand what happened there.

In short, a beautiful and often touching conclusion to the prettily written Chemical Garden series.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...