Tuesday 15 October 2013

Top Ten Tuesday With A Twist



 














Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
____
So, originally, this week's subject was 'Top Ten Books I was Forced to Read", but I don't think I could even name ten books I was forced to read, let alone give a top ten. So I decided to do a little twist on this week's Top Ten Tuesday. I present:

Top Ten YA Books I Wish Were Required Reading

1.       Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Subject: Writing
Why: Well, it’s impossible for me to have a TTT without DoSaB on it, so let’s get this out of the way! I think this is a very useful book for a writing class, because Taylor has a way with words: her writing is nothing short of beautiful. She’s also the queen of ‘show, don’t tell’, which is a very important writing rule. So there you go!

2.       Eona (Eon, #2)
Subject: Writing & Psychology
Why: This book is the perfect example of how to develop a character. Eona goes through such enormous changes, and yet it is all very subtle and well done. She reacts in a very human way to her powers and is so perfectly imperfect. This would also be a very interesting book for a psychology class, as it really shows us how humans react to power.

3.       Before I Fall
Subject: “Life” (And yes, I am aware that that’s not an actual subject, but I felt this book should be in here. I just had no fricking idea in what class.)
Why: Before I Fall is a very inspirational read in that it shows us a girl who realizes that she’s a bitch, basically. She tries to change her life for the better.  I don’t think it would hurt for any of us to take a look at our own lives and behaviour.

4.       Golden
Subject: “Life” (again!)
Why: Again a book about changing your life, and a powerful book at that. It revolves around the question: “Tell me, what is it you plan to do with this one wild and precious life?” (I may have forgotten the exact words, but this is its essence). I thought Golden was so inspirational and important! It actually changed my life a bit. Definitely a book that should be ‘required reading’.

5.        Two Boys Kissing
Subject: "Life" & Writing
Why: A bit more awareness can't hurt, can it?

6.       Divergent
Subject: Philosophy
Why: This would make such an interesting discussion in a Philosophy class. Is there one trait that we possess above all others? Do our character traits define us? And what would be the most important character traits to choose from should we remake the world and create it like Divergent's?

7.       Antigoddess
Subject: Latin/Ancient Greek
Why: The gods, of course! This book is very easy to read even if you know nothing about the Trojan War and the gods, so it would be great if used as an introducer for that particular time in history. We learn more about the gods and what exactly they are gods/goddesses of, and we learn about the Trojan War! I say it's pretty perfect.

8.     Dangerous Girls
Subject: Writing & Psychology
Why: Writing because this book is very good AND an enormous mindfuck. Psychology because I think it would be very interesting to analyze all the characters in this book: what are their motives? Why do they behave the way they do? Of course you could you this with other books as well, but I think this would be more interesting because it also deals with murder and everyone's reaction to it.

9.       Delirium
Subject: Philosophy
Why: Ooh, this book would be the center of a very interesting discussion in a Philosophy class. What if there was no love in the world? Ha, I can already see the way this would go should we ever discuss this in class. Maybe I need to show Delirium to my teacher, haha.

10.      Days of Blood and Starlight
Subject: History
Why: No, I'm not crazy. I don't really think there was a chimaera/seraphim war. But I do think that DoBaS is a very accurate reflection of real war: the way it ignites, unfolds and lives. I think this would be a book that'd work out very well in history class if you're on the subject of a war.


So, I hope my twist on this week's TTT worked out, haha. Do you agree/disagree with me on any of these? Which book would you add? And link me up to your TTT!

3 comments:

  1. Love the idea of the twist. What great list! :)

    Here is our list.

    By the way, we are giving away a signed ARC of Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles on the blog. Make sure to stop by and enter! :)

    Andy @ Owl Always Be Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your twist. All of your books on the list, I either enjoyed or on my tbr :)

    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you enjoy the ones you haven't read yet :)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...