Saturday 8 February 2014

ARC Review: All That Glows by Ryan Graudin

All That Glows by Ryan Graudin
Emrys—a fiery, red-headed Fae—always embraced her life in the Highlands, far from the city’s draining technology, until she’s sent to London to rejoin the Faery Guard. But this isn’t any normal assignment—she’s sent to guard Prince Richard: Britain’s notorious, partying bad boy and soon-to-be King. The prince’s careless ways and royal blood make him the irresistible for the dark spirits that feed on mortals. Sweet, disheveled, and alive with adventure—Richard is one charge who will put Emrys’s magic and heart to the test.

When an ancient force begins preying on the monarchy, Emrys must hunt through the London’s magical underworld, facing down Banshees, Black Dogs and Green Women to find the one who threatens Richard’s life. In this chaos of dark magic, palace murders and paparazzi, Emrys finds herself facing an impossible choice. For despite all her powers, Emrys has discovered a force that burns brighter than magic: love.

Title: All That Glows
Author: Ryan Graudin
Series: none
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: February 11th 2014

Rating: 2 stars

Review:

All That Glows seemed exactly like the fun, amazing read that everybody needs from time to time. With a premise and cover like that, this could only be awesome, right? Unfortunately, Alll That Glows wasn't nearly as fantastic as I wanted it to be, but it was fun to read.

One of the biggest problems is the instant love. A lot of the plot and the characters' decisions hinge on the romance, and that element fell short. Emrys and Richard have had what? Three encounters? and then they start speaking of love. Oh, and don't forget that Richard doesn't even remember one of those encounters because Emrys wiped his memory. But oh no, they absolutely love each other - the kind of soulmate, undying love. Uh, how about no? That's just not how it works. These characters don't even know each other that well and all of a sudden it's love? Later on, Graudin tries to explain this by saying that they had some kind of soulmate-connection thing going on, but I couldn't believe in that. Even soulmates can have a well-developed relationship.

Strangely, I didn't even mind it all that much. While I definitely don't approve of it and while it lowered my rating, I found myself not caring too much that there was instant love. This book is really light and admittedly, fun. I had fun reading this and that definitely helped every flaw this book had. Unfortunately, I thought there were quite a few flaws, aside from the insta-love.

The characters, for example, felt underdeveloped and bland to me. Especially the side characters were in dire need of a personality. While it wasn't so bad that they all felt the same to me - they did have different personalities - the (secondary) characters felt really bland to me, making it hard for me to connect with them. The characters also don't seem to grow throughout the book, with the exception of Richard. But that's only because I consider stopping with drinking and partying growth: personality-wise, not much changed.

What I also found unbelievable - although this isn't a major issue - was that Emrys always wore skirts. She's supposed to be Richard's guardian and has to be able to fight off creatures both with her magic and through a physical fight. I don't think a skirt would be a great choice for that, seeing as most skirts confine your movements. Pants would be a lot better and safer. Seeing as the Fae take their job seriously, I found it a bit unbelievable that Emrys would trot around in a skirt.

I have to say, though, that this book did surprise me. Although I probably should have, I didn't figure out who the evil mastermind was until it was revealed to us. I was totally led on the wrong path, and since I'm usually able to figure out who the culprit is pretty well, this definitely is a compliment for Graudin. In retrospect, I really should have known who it was, but I didn't figure it out while reading.

In all, this book has some serious flaws - like the instant love and the bland characters - but it was also a lot of fun to read. All That Glows did definitely surprise me. If you don't mind the aforementioned flaws or are just looking for a fun read no matter how good it is, I would definitely recommend All That Glows to you.

**Review copy provided by HarperTeen (thank you!). No money or favors were exchanged to alter this review.**

2 comments:

  1. Ewwwww instalove...
    And lol about the skirts. That's definitely an issue! Although I guess it does depend on the type of skirt. A flowy one would be annoying, but if it was like a tennis skirt or sth that'd be okay haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had fun reading it Celine, I tried to read this but couldn't get into it, and haven't picked it up since. Lol I loved your rant about the skirts, it doesn't make sense when they're fighting right? Anyway, lovely review as always!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...