Tuesday 16 April 2013

Silver (Bandia, #1)

Silver (Bandia, #1)Silver by Talia Vance
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Actual rating: 1.5 stars

*sigh*

Oh, Silver, what to do with you?
First, let's get this out of the way: if you want a good book, this is not it.

The Characters

Ugh. All the women in this book are portrayed as slutty sex toys, except of course for our lovely, stunning, beautiful, great-looking, did I mention beautiful? protagonist Brianna. I was really disturbed by this. This book was written by a woman. And yet every single girl is displayed as a slut? No. Not just no, but hell no.



Brianna's "friends" are only there to make Brianna look good. She has two friends, who are both quite slutty and all over the boyzzz. Why are these three friends? Don't ask me.

The boys in this book are all total pervs. Everyone, and I mean everyone, is making remarks about how good-lookin' Brianna is and vaguely implying sexual things. The love interest is supposed to stand out by not being pervy (or so I think), but is miserably failing. At one point he says he's happy he's learned to control himself, because otherwise he didn't know what he would have done to Brianna the first time he saw her. That's just creepy. Again I say, hell no.

The slut-shaming

Yes, it deserves its own department. Because God, there is a lot of slut shaming going on. A few quotes to illustrate my point:

"Did your date with the Boobsie Twins fall through?"

"Fishnet leans against Blake's SUV in a too-short skirt and too-low top. A second girl with round, fake boobs whispers in her ear as they watch Blake approach."


Who are you to judge them, Brianna, just because they hang out with your one true love? Who the hell are you?

Ugh.

It's just.. ugh. This whole book is ugh. I mean, we've got a stalker. We've got slut-shaming. We've got the-whole-world-is-slutty-except-for-me. We've got instalove. We've got quotes like this:

""Pardon me for saying so, but you don't seem like his type." what is that supposed to mean? So I'm not dumb, snobby or slutty... Oh."

Excuse me? Excuse me? Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh.

Also, apparently girls only like bad boys. Loving and caring boyfriends are absolutely out of the question. This is a scene of Brianna talking to a boy who likes one of her slutty friends:

" "I don't know. Could you try being more of an asshole?" "Why would I do that?" "I'm trying to help you out here." I don't know how to explain it. (...) "Wait. Are you saying that Christy would like me better if I wasn't so-" "Nice." "

And this works.

This is just wrong on so many levels, I can't even.




And the worst thing about this?
I want to read the sequel.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...