Saturday 13 April 2013

Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)

Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm conflicted about this book. I enjoy this series, but it has clear ups and downs.

The prose

This, I'm sure, will for most people be the thing that makes them love or hate this series. I can stand it, think it's pretty in some passages, think it isn't in others. But I can stand it. It's definitely something new, with all the strikethroughs and repetition.

I think the prose in some places adds tensions, like in the

tick
tick
tick
it's almost
time for war


I really liked that. In other places, however, it just seemed weird to me:

Sometimes I wonder about glue. No one ever stops to asks glue how it's holding up. If it's tired of sticking things togheter or worried about falling apart or wondering how it will pay its bills next week.
That's because talking to inanimate objects is kind of weird, you know?

The Characters

God, Juliette was annoying in this book. She was self-absorbed, having pity parties every other page, and just plain annoying!

I thought Adam in this book was really boring. He doesn't seem sweet or whatever. He doesn't seem anything. He doesn't seem like he has a personality.

I loved Kenji. He was great, and I could kiss him in this passage:

"I'm sick of you being so caught up in your own little world all the time. You act like this whole thing - everythin we do - is a joke. You don't take any of it seriously-" "What?" I cut him off. "That's not true - I do take this seriously-" [Kenji] laughs a short, sharp, angry laugh. "All you do is sit around and think about your feelings. You've got problems. Boo-freaking-hoo," he says. "Your parents hate you and it's so hard but you have to wear gloves for the rest of your life because you kill people when you touch them. Who gives a shit?"

THANK YOU, KENJI. THANK YOU.

Fortunately, Juliette started to change near the end of the book. I'm really hoping she'll stay that way in book 3.

I thought Warner was freaking great. Yup, definitely team Warner. Also, chapter 62 *wiggles eyebrows*

The Plot

Nothing really special there. I thought the plot twist involving (view spoiler)[ Adam's father (hide spoiler)] was pretty obvious. The plot was believable, not too far-fetched as you see sometimes in YA literature.

All in all, a good read. If you like the prose and don't mind an unlikeable herione, this is definitely for you.

So now we have to wait for book 3. And I do think it will be called IGNITE ME!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...