Tuesday 30 April 2013

The Prince (The Selection, #0.5)

The Prince (The Selection, #0.5)The Prince by Kiera Cass
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Prince is a Selection novella and a perfect little teaser if you're waiting for the next book, but not more than that.

I should warn you that I'm not a novella-person. I don't hate them, but for me they're always a little too short (which, of course, is the point of a novella). I don't have enough time to connect to the characters, so I usually end up feeling 'meh', or 'didn't care for it'. To me, The Prince was 'meh'.

This novella is meant as a teaser for those waiting for The Elite, and for that purpose it does fine. But if I look at it as a 'true' novella, it falls short.

First, let's discuss the description of this book.

Before thirty-five girls were chosen to compete in the Selection...

Before Aspen broke America's heart...

There was another girl in Prince Maxon's life...


I should warn you: this is NOT what the book is about. In the first chapter, there is a girl named Daphne, who expresses her 'love' for Maxon and accusing him of not knowing what he feels. This is supposed to be the 'another girl in Maxon's life', but she disappears after their little "I love you, you love me but you don't know it yet" conversation and never comes back. Never comes back. This book is supposed to be about her and Maxon, but it's not. This girl is completely useless, unless:

1) She comes back in The One as one of the rebels
2) She comes back in The One as the leader of the rebels
3) She comes back in The One as a secret assassin with ninja-skills and tries to murder America because she's jealous.

*please not that if one of the above happens, I am a genius*

This novella is about Maxon and America. About their first meeting in the garden and their little chit-chat when Maxon meets all the girls (except for America) for the first time. That is what this is about.

Like I said, The Prince is nice to read as a teaser, but it isn't a real novella. There is not much new in it, but it's nice to read if you're a fan of the Selection and want a little more Maxon in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...