Friday 17 May 2013

If I Should Die (Die For Me, #3)

If I Should Die (Revenants, #3)If I Should Die by Amy Plum
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

SPOILER ALERT!


There it is, at last, the last book of the Revenants series. I've read and loved the first two books in the series and now I've read and loved the last one. Since the first book I've thought Plum's ideas about bardia and numa are very original, and I still think so.

I definitely thought this was the strongest book in the series because Kate really grows a pair in this one. She kicks ass.

The first chapter in this book was very sweet. If you're an emotional reader (which I am not), keep tissues at hand.

I think the whole thing with Vincent being allowed to stay three days with the bardia was a bit too convenient. I just can't believe any villain would allow that.

The two plot twists involving Kate (her being the Champion and her becoming a revenant) were really obvious, but well done.

I thought it was very realistic how Kate reacted to being a revenant. She didn't go all

1: Bella, "YES I am finally a monster! Life is so much better now! Yay me!"
or
2: Skye, "Oh boy, I am so special and two hot boys fawn over me, fuck my life!"

Instead, her reaction is very realistic: she's disgusted. She can't think of herself being undead, because she's disgusted. Yes! Now this is the appropiate reaction to finding out you're undead! God, I'm really glad Plum pulled it off that well.

I also feel like Plum's prose has developed over the course of the series. It doesn't make it to my "gorgeous prose" shelf, but I definitely see improvement, and that's a good thing. I really liked this passage, for example (spoiler for those who haven't read book 2!):

But I am suddenly unafraid, knowing I will face Violette with a powerful weapon: love. The complete and unconditional love of another being. That is something Violette does not have. It won't win me the battle against her. But it has already made me the victor over my fear.

I really loved that passage, and I do think Plum has talent.

The way redemption was woven into the story surprised me and made me happy. It's good to see the message that all hope is never lost, and you can be good and true if you really want to.

The ending - the epic battle- was a bit unsatisfying for me, but I can't name what exactly I missed in it.

I disliked how Jules was written out of the story. I get that friendship doesn't always last forever, but it was a bit too sudden for me. I wish the book took more time slowly buiding to his department.

All in all, I really liked this book. I think this is definitely the strongest book of the three, and it is a nicely woven tale of friendship, redemption and ass-kicking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...